Hilburn - Astra GTE 16v
run the Astra for several weeks successfully now, and attended a
rolling road event at Gerald Dale Motorsport Saturday 12th March.
I was pleased to find that the setup was making good power, and
the early run in the morning made 189bhp at 6333rpm with peak torque
of 169lbs. Gerald said it was overfuelling immensely, which is fair
enough cause the pressure was set at my best guess from the FSE
add on fuel gauge.
Later in the day we adjusted the pressure back using an exhaust
gas analyser, and a second power run showed 196bhp@6937rpm, and
peak torque of 161lbs@5859pm. Which is much more like it. This adjustment
also filled in a big trough in the torque curve below 4000rpm, as well
as the nice 8bhp gain. I wasn't too concerned with the peak torque
drop because the area under the graph had increased somewhat.
| Well, sorry for droning on, but i thought you would appreciate finding
out your 196 kit is spot on, out on the road. I will be in touch
in a short while to book a mapping session, see if we cant get that
torque back up :)
was received from Darren in February 2006 after the Astra had been on
the rolling road at Track'n'Road Performance.
into Astra GTE 16v ownership, a few twists of fate and splash of money,
the Astra has progressed quite a fair bit in a short period of time.
I drove the car for 3 years before deciding that, actually, you could
teach an old dog new tricks when I slotted the popular SBD MT196 kit
under the bonnet.
results the Astra remained a daily driver for nearly 2 years until winter
2004 where it was consigned to the garage for a desperately needed engine
rebuild. Ok, so maybe I was kidding myself originally, but eking an
extra 40bhp out of a high mileage 20XE had taken its toll, it was burning
oil and power was down to almost factory proportions. The soundtrack
was still there but the pace that the chassis desired had disappeared,
it was time to sort the whole lot out.
initial strip down revealed average wear, but it obviously wasn't
happy. So, the premise was simple, gather all the parts from SBD
to make a solid reliable bottom end. The big purchases like 87mm
omega pistons, and swanky steel SBD valve train were the first
into the parts bin. Rebore, new bearings, seals all round and
heavy duty bolts/studs clamping the whole lot together. A steel
oil pump gear and nylon relief valve were also slotted in for
extra safety. While I reassembled the block with epic and quite
alarming (by my standards) attention to detail, the head was sent
off for a mild clean up and porting. All the major engine components
were on the bench by about February for the final assembly and
slotting back into the Astra.
I was aiming for SBD's MT215 kit specification, but I decided
to run the new block in using the standard cams, just for ease
of conflicting sequences. The engine remained in this specification
for nearly a year due to other set backs with the shell, but all
the groundwork was there. With the first thousand miles out of
the way the engines vigour had returned with interest. For the
stato's I squeezed a new personal best out of the engine at santapod
firstname.lastname@example.org, my local rolling road showed promise with 202bhp@6400rpm
with an astonishing torque curve.
the end of 2005 the money and motivation arrived to finish all the good
ground work, I upgraded the exhaust manifold for SBD's type C and had
a full 2.5 inch exhaust system hand made to accompany it. 2005 also saw
the purchase of SBD's hydraulic cams - 284 Degrees dur - 11.4mm lift inlet,
278 Degrees dur 11mm lift exhaust, a pair of vernier pulleys and a more
stable fuel pressure regulator. The engine responded well, nudging 210bhp
on 2 separate rolling roads events, on the SBD MT215 base map.
fresh start and new hopes. After a few months of financial break
over the new year period, myself and Jamie booked our cars in
for a full rolling road mapping session at track n road powerformance
in essex. It was a brilliant day, kind of sealed the deal where
the MT215 kit is concerned, ironed out a few mileage related technical
problems and got the fuelling chemically correct over the entire
rev range. Drivability was improved and power and torque took
a nice hike to 220bhp@7420 and 176lbf-ft@5200 , really impressed
with how the car drives now, and looking forward to track days
and events this year.
|Engine: 2044cc 16 valve dohc, Poole A-spec flowed coscast head, 13mm colsibro
valve guides, 3 angle valve seats, SBD valve springs, SBD steel
valve spring retainers and platforms, SBD 284 Degrees dur - 11.4mm
lift inlet cam, SBD 278 Degrees dur 11mm lift exhaust cam, sodium
filled exhaust valves, ARP head stud kit, Jenvey 48mm parallel
throttle bodies, ITG air filter, flowed 7° SBD inlet manifold,
MBE 967E 3D engine management, SBD loom, wasted spark dizzyless
ignition, BERU HT leads, BRISE competition starter motor, FSE
"black top" fuel pressure regulator, 100psi fuel pressure
gauge, 8mm stainless steel fuel lines, 87mm forged Omega pistons,
7.2kg flywheel, ARP flywheel bolts, balanced crank, SBD aluminium
underdrive crank pulley, ARP heavy duty rod bolts, ARP main bolts,
ACL lead/copper turbo deisel main and big end bearings, SBD steel
billet oil pump gear, SBD steel cam belt tensioner, SBD steel
cam belt idler, SBD nylon oil pressure relief valve, 13 row mocal
oil cooler, Serck alloy coolant radiator, silicon coolant hoses,
SBD type C manifold in 316 grade stainless steel, full 2.5 inch
stealth systems exhaust in 304 grade stainless steel.
Vauxhall Kits & Components
to Customers Cars
|Home | Price
List | Site
Map | Contact
|Events | Press
Coverage | Meet
the Staff | Frequently
Asked Questions | Distributors, Dealers & Links | Sponsorship | Terms
Motorsport Ltd, Unit 15, Red Lion Business Park, Red Lion Road, Surbiton,
Surrey. KT6 7QD. Tel: 0208 391 0121.
|Email Contact Details | Follow us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter